Special People Section - William Henry Cox, son of Catherine Pickingill
To return to the Pickingill Index Page To go to Home Web Page
William Henry Cox ( 1862 ? )
27. WILLIAM HENRY COCKS was born September 9, 1862 in South Shoebury, Essex.
Father: George Cocks
Mother: Catherine Pickingill (No. 10)
In 1871, William Cocks, age 7, scholar, was living with his parents in South Shoebury, Essex.
From the 1871 Census of South Shoebury, Essex, we find the following:
22 [Elder Walk ?]
Name - Relationship to Head - Married or Single - Age - Sex Occupation - Birthplace
Mar 43 M
Catherine D Wife Mar 31 F Brickfield Lab* D Hockly
George D Son 10 M D North Shoeby
William D Son 7 M Scholar D South Shoeby
Edmund D Son 3 M D D
In 1874, The Cox family immigrated from England to Canada. They settled in Fitzroy, Carleton, Ontario Province. Williams Uncle and Aunt, William and Martha Smith, went to Fitzroy earlier in 1873.
In 1881, William Henry Cox, age 18, Brick maker, was living with his parents in Fitzroy, Carlton, Ontario.
From the 1881 Census of Fitzroy, Carlton, Ontario, we have the following:
Name - Marital Status - Gender - Ethnic Origin - Age - Birthplace - Occupation - Religion
M Male English 50 England
Katherine Cox M Female English 45 England Methodist Canada
George Charles Cox Male English 20 England Brick Maker Methodist Canada
William Henry Cox Male English 18 England Brick Maker Methodist Canada
Edmund Cox Male English 13 England Methodist Canada
Emmir Cox Female English 8 England Methodist Canada
Mijordee M. Cox Male English 6 O (Ontario) Methodist Canada
Next door to the Coxes were Williams Uncle and Aunt, William and Martha Smith. William Smith was also a Brick Maker.
William Henry Cox married MARGARET GOTH on December 25, 1883 at Arnprior, Renfrew County, Ontario Province, Canada.
From a webpage concerning Renfrew County in 1883, the marriage entry is listed:
10733-83 (Renfrew Co) William Henry COX, 21, farmer, Fitzroy, Fitzroy, s/o George COX & Catherine PECKINGILL married Margaret GOTH, 20, Beckwith, Horton, d/o Brice GOTH & Margaret FORD, witn: S. J. BORROW & Amelia SALMON of Fitzroy, 25 Dec 1883, Arnprior
Margaret Goth was born July 25, 1863 in Ontario Province. she was a daughter of Brice Goth and Margaret Ford.
In 1891, William and Margaret Cox were living in Fitzroy, Lanark North, Ontario Province, Canada. William was a General Labourer. Next door was Williams Uncle and Aunt, William and Martha Smith. William Smith was a Brick maker.
From the 1891 Census of Fitzroy, we find the following:
W 11/2/4 23 Enumerated on the 8th day of April 1891
Name - Sex - Age - Marital Status - Relationship to Head - Birthplace - Birthplace of Father - Birthplace of Mother - Religion - Occupation - Can Read - Can Write
Cox William M 28
M - England England
England Methodist Gen Labourer
Margret F 27 M W Ont Ont Ont
Maggie F 2/12 - D England
Additional information for William Cox - Wage Earner - Can read - Can write
Additional information for Margret Cox - Can read - Can write
Between 1891 and 1901, William Cox and his family moved from Fitzroy to Morton, Brandon, Manitoba Province, Canada.
In 1901, William and Margaret Cox were in Morton, Brandon, Manitoba Province, Canada. William Cox was a farmer.
From the 1901 Census of the above described place, we find the following:
89/89 Enumerated April 19, 1901
Name - Sex - Race - Relationship to Head - Marital Status - Birthdate - Age - Birthplace - Year of Immigration - Race - Nationality - Religion -Occupation
M W Head
Sep 9 1862 38 England 1871 English Canadian Meth Farmer
Margaret F Wife M July 25 1863 37 Ont Meth
Maggie A F Daughter S Jan 26 1891 10 Ont
Additional information, same for each, William, Margaret, and Maggie A Cox - Can read - Can write - Can speak English - Mother Tongue Eng
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM HENRY AND MARGARET (GOTH) COX
50. MAGGIE A. COX was born January 26, 1891 probably in Fitzroy, Lanark, Ontario Province, Canada.
In 1891, Maggie Cox, age 2 months, was living with her parents in Fitzroy, Lanark, Ontario Province, Canada (see above for details in the census).
In 1901, Maggie A. Cox, age 10, was living with her parents in Morton, Brandon, Manitoba Province, Canada (see above for details in the census).
1. 1871 Census of England, Essex, South Shoebury, District 5, Image No. 33, Ancestry.com. Public Record Office reference: R.G. 10 1670, Original Page No. 33, Stamped Page No. 72, No. of Schedule 187, Household of George Cocks. December 2, 2008 Tuesday 7:20 PM.
2. 1881 Census of Canada, Ontario, Carleton, Fitzroy. From online Familysearch.org database. Original source: FML Film 1375867, NA Film No. C-13231, District 108, Sub-District I, Division 1, Page No. 39, Household Number 160. Household of George Cox. April 8, 2009 Wednesday 3:00 PM.
3. 1881 Census of Canada, Ontario, Carleton, Fitzroy. From online Familysearch.org database. Original source: FML Film 1375867, NA Film No. C-13231, District 108, Sub-District I, Division 1, Page No. 39, Household Number 159. Household of William Smith. April 8, 2009 Wednesday 3:05 PM.
4. 1883 Marriage of William Henry Cox and Margaret Goth. From a webpage about Renfrew Co. in 1883. http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/renfr83.htm. April 8, 2009 Wednesday 8:11 PM.
5. 1891 Census of Canada, Ontario, Lanark North, Fitzroy, Image No. 18, Ancestry.com. Original Page No. 6, Lines 18-20, Household of William Cox. April 15, 2009 Wednesday 3:08 PM.
6. 1891 Census of Canada, Ontario, Lanark North, Fitzroy, Image No. 18, Ancestry.com. Original Page No. 6, Lines 15-17, Household of William Smith. April 15, 2009 Wednesday 3:08 PM.
7. 1901 Census of Canada, Manitoba, Brandon, Morton, Image No. 29, Ancestry.com. Original Page No. 9, Lines 27-29, Household of William Cox. May 2, 2009 Saturday 7:11 PM.
Last updated May 7, 2009 Thursday 8:44 PM
Researched and Compiled by William Wallworth
PO Box 24768 San Jose, CA 95154-4768 USA
© 2005 - 2009 Deadfamilies.com All rights reserved